Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Leading Stocks Falter

Last week I said the market looked like it was at a critical decision point because, among other reasons, exactly half of all US stocks were below their 200-day moving average (June 22, Market update - decision point?). Today leading stocks are faltering and it looks like the bears are in charge.

Six weeks ago I pointed out MED (Medifast) had made a double top when it failed to make a new all-time high (May 19: MED puts in a double top: Bad news for stocks). I read that as a major warning sign for stocks in general because MED had been an all-star and was the best performing stock of the last decade (per Bespoke). Don't get me wrong, MED has been a resilient stock, but this time, as it slices through the 200-day moving average, the chart looks too ominous and has "pump and dump" written all over it.




In other news, AAPL has completed the right side of the Island Top I pointed out last week (June 24, Island Top for AAPL?). More bearish confirmation.



A few of the all-time highs are holding up well so far, including HTWR (Heatware International). I wouldn't initiate a long-position here, but I'm watching them to see how they hold up. One advantage of a stock like this is that it isn't in any index so it should be more independent of people selling SPY, QQQQ, or IWM index ETFs.



Subscribe
Bookmark and Share

No comments: